Caring for you and our community since 1951
300 Utah Street, Hiawatha, KS, 66434
Message from Administrator
Board of Trustees
HCH Family Practice Clinic
HCH Highland Clinic
HCH Outpatient Specialty Clinic
Community Education & Support Groups
Diabetes & Wellness Education
Family Practice Clinic
HCH Highland Clinic
Home Health Services
Inpatient Acute Care, Skilled Care & Swing Bed Program
Nutrition and Food Services
Outpatient Specialty Clinic
Physical, Occupational & Respiratory Therapy
Social Services Department
Meet Our Physicians
Patients & Visitors
Notice of Privacy Practice
Release of Medical Records
Phlebotomist - Laboratory
Hiawatha Community Hospital is seeking a Phlebotomist to join our team.
At minimum must meet requirements 42 CFR 493.1423 (b)(4)(i) Standard; Testing personnel qualifications.
Able to collect and properly handle various specimens for use in diagnosis and treatment of disease.
Prepare and maintain laboratory documentation for entry into patient medical records, and meeting regulatory needs of the lab.
SHIFT DAYS/HOURS: Full-time position, AM or PM shift (as designated by the Lab Manager) Subject to change based on business necessity. Weekend Rotation Required
Education: High School diploma or equivalent
Experience: Previous medical experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Maintain compliance with HIPAA and patient confidentiality
Physical:Must have good eyesight to effect proper operation of the laboratory equipment and procure laboratory specimens. Must have good physical health. Must have full use of upper extremities. Must have good ambulatory mobility to move between areas within lab, often between narrow passages, and to obtain specimens in a variety of emergency and routine patient environments.
DUTIES: 1.Perform specimen collection to include phlebotomy, swabs, urine, EKGs, paternity testing, etc from all age groups. Ensures appropriate specimen, volumes, and special requirements are meet for tests ordered.
2. Evaluate written and electronic orders for testing ensuring they are clear, complete, and meet regulatory requirements. Contact appropriate individual when clarification or correction of orders is needed.
3. Confirms or obtains all additional documentation needed for patient testing prior to specimen collection. (i.e. Consents, ABN, etc) Manages and stores documentation appropriately.
4. Ability to verbalize instructions to patients, or responsible caretaker regarding specimen collection. Able to address concerns of patients, providers, and staff, document concerns, and escalate them as necessary.
5.Ability to place orders into the EHR & LIS. (Ensures accuracy or orders being placed, all documented care providers are assigned appropriately). Handles new tests appropriately, contacts Ref Lab for requirements, obtains information and all supporting documentation and forwards it to parties responsible for the addition of tests to the EHR. Can successfully reconcile orders between EHR & LIS systems.
6.Receives specimens and evaluates them for integrity, volume, storage requirements, appropriate container, etc. Prepares specimens to be sent to various reference laboratories, prepares documentation, and notifies the appropriate couriers or transports specimens to respective location. Accepts or rejects specimens per policy and procedure, and makes the appropriate notifications, and documents specimen disposition.
7. Maintains 49 CFR part 40 certification, and collects DOT and Non-DOT Tox screens. Consistently and successfully performs DOT and Non-DOT collections without errors.
8. Performs laboratory maintenance duties and documents appropriately. Example: environmental and temp checks, stock and order supplies, basic housekeeping, etc. Notifies appropriate individual(s) and documents deviations.
9. Maintains orders received prior to collection date. Standing orders are maintained, and reviewed routinely for accuracy and outdate.
10. Follows laboratory's Policy & Procedure. Able to identify problems or deviations from laboratory Policy & Procedure and take appropriate corrective action, and documents corrective actions appropriately.
11. Perform other functions as assigned by Supervisors, Laboratory Director, or Medical Director's. Other duties as assigned.
12. Participates in Infection Prevention and Safety behaviors and activities within the facility.
Position Type :
Hiawatha Community Hospital
300 Utah Street
Hiawatha, KS 66434
Click Here to fill out our official online application.